Tuesday, July 14, 2015

TEASER TUESDAY #IARTG

SNIPPET FROM THROUGH GLASS DARKLY

“Olivia,” Lauren said as she put down her half-eaten slice of pizza. “Listen to what you’re saying. Who do you want? What do you want?”

“I don’t know–” she answered, tears brimming in her eyes.

Lauren continued. “My grandmother and aunt always told me that I would know who I was meant to be with when I found the person that I couldn’t live without; that I couldn’t breathe without. My mom died before she got the chance to talk to me about those things, but I could always tell by the way my parents acted with each other, that they drew breath from one another. They could have never lived without the other one, which is why, I think, in the grand scheme of things, they were taken together. The way in which they were taken still haunts me, but all in all, I believe it was part of the bigger plan. It’s taken me years to come to that conclusion, and it hasn’t been an easy one to reach. I encourage you to think about that though: which of the two men, Henry or Daniel, would you be able to live without. Which one helps you breathe?”

Sarah and Sue both nodded in agreement.

“This isn’t something you have to decide right now,” Sue reassured. “I just know Danny, and he will wait for a while, but he’s like any other man. The waiting will get old. It might hurt him to walk away from you, but he will. In fact, I think he’ll probably take the job in Dayton if things don’t progress.”

Eyes wide, Olivia looked at Sue. Lauren’s head dropped also. “What job in Dayton?” she asked.

Sue’s mouth dropped open. “Oh, God, he didn’t tell you.”

“Daniel hasn’t talked about this with Olivia. He didn’t plan to,” Lauren said.

“What job in Dayton?” Olivia shouted.

A sigh from Lauren gave away her guilt. “Nick offered him a position at the FBI field office in Dayton. He would be working in Major Crimes. Nick has begged him to come for years now, but he won’t. This time he made it very clear to both me and to Nick he had no intention in leaving you. You are the reason he stays with FCSO.”

“I can’t believe he didn’t say anything. It would be so much more money for him, not to mention the benefits.”

“He loves you,” Sue said.

“I love him, too,” Olivia answered, “but I don’t know if I love him enough.”

“Who do you keep secrets from?” Sarah asked bluntly. When Olivia stared at her blankly, she continued. “Who knows about the other? Who knows all there is to know about you?”

“Danny knows all of my secrets. He knows about Henry. He knows everything. Henry knows about my life, too, but I’ve kept it from him about Danny.”

“Don’t you think that means something? You trust Danny with absolutely everything.”

Olivia looked down at the pizza on her plate, now cold. Then she looked up, confusion still in her eyes.

“Keep what I told you in mind,” Lauren reiterated. “Who are you unable to breathe without?”

No comments:

Post a Comment